8.27.2009

Oh woe is a writer! (An experiment in spoken word poetry.)

I wrote this poem as soon as I got home from attending my very first poetry slam Spring Semester '09 at MCC. It's my first official attempt at Spoken Word.

04.16.09
Oh woe is a writer!
by
Rebecca A. Varley

Thoughts plague,
enamour, enrapture
sadistically, skillfully
scheme and
SHOUT!
Listen! Focus! On me!
And ME! And me and
me and me!
Always demanding
ATTENTION!
The less you focus
the worse it gets the
chaos intensifies and
I for one would
prefer to RUN
but they follow and circle and
swallow.
Dreaded thoughts provoke
passionate production and
DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE
this hell of a ride that I
swore I wasn't even tall
enough to get on-
I did NOT consent
in fact, I caused the biggest
scene kicking and writhing
on the ground in fruitless
protest you've ever seen
from here to Indiana!
And yet-here I am-
front and center-
feeling every corkscrew,
swoop, double loop, and
loopity loop mirroring
and mocking my insides.

I can't help but bathe
in excitement.

Without this RIDE
this DRIVE
I would cease to be alive
wither and die
-death by mindless dronedom
(a classic conundrum.)
But they're damn persistent buggers
conflicting
convicting
restraining and
maintaining,
so I intend to give in,
search within, and
write.

No comments:

Post a Comment